To clean a glass nail file, place it under running hot water and rub it with your fingers. Do this until most of the dirt is gone and let it air dry for a few minutes. This type of cleaning won’t do any damage to your glass nail file and should be enough in most cases. Repeat the process once a month for the best effects.
Some experts also recommend deep cleaning your glass nail file by disinfecting it in boiling water or sterilizing it. This doesn’t have to be done often, usually once every two months is more than enough.
The cleaning process is very important in terms of keeping your nail file in good condition. The nail dust can often give the appearance that your glass nail file is dull. Regular cleaning is necessary to keep it sharp and avoid any nail hygiene problems. Bacteria and dirt that accumulate on the surface of the nail file can lead to problematic diseases.
Why should you clean a glass nail file?
There are many different reasons why you should clean your glass nail file. Most of those affect the performance, appearance, and overall condition of your nail file. Here’s a list of the most important reasons:
- Hygiene. All types of nail files accumulate bacteria, dirt, and debris, especially when used often. This can lead to unpleasant nail hygiene problems, and diseases with long-term effects.
- Overall condition. If you want to keep your glass nail file for long, you should definitely give it a clean sometimes. Products that are cleaned and stored properly will last longer and have a better appearance.
- Better performance. While glass nail files can’t really get dull, they can certainly appear that way. Cleaning the dirt away from the clogged dimples will restore the effectiveness of your nail file.
Those are only some of the reasons why you should regularly care for your glass nail file. Be sure to follow the steps below in order to thoroughly clean your product.
How to clean a glass nail file?
Depending on how dirty is your glass nail file, you can do two types of cleaning – regular cleaning, or deep cleaning. Generally, cleaning a nail file after every use is not necessary, however, it can help keep it in a good condition. Alternatively, you deep clean the product by disinfecting or sterilizing it.
Regular cleaning can be done after a few uses, or if you prefer it that way, after every use. Although this method is quick and easy, it’s more than enough in most cases. Here are a few simple steps to follow:
- Prepare. Get your dirty glass nail file, prepare some mild soap with a sponge (this is optional), a clean cloth, and run hot water.
- Apply soap. Put some soap either on the sponge or directly on your glass nail file.
- Rub the nail file. Rub the nail file with your fingers or a sponge until most of the dirt is gone, and the dimples are unclogged.
- Remove excess water and dry. Try to remove the excess water with a clean cloth, and let your glass nail file air dry for a few minutes.
This should be enough to get most of the dirt out of your glass nail file. You can test the sharpness of the nail file once it’s dry. If this method wasn’t enough to restore the original sharpness, try deep cleaning.
If you want to clean your glass nail file thoroughly, then we highly recommend disinfecting and sterilizing it. Those methods will kill all the bacteria that are present on the surface of your glass nail file.
Disinfecting can be done both to colored and clear glass nail files. Although, we have to address that some decorations can get removed during this process. To do this, put your glass nail files in boiling water for at least 30 minutes. When the time is up, drain the water and wipe the nail files with a clean cloth.
Sterilization is even more effective at killing all the bacteria or eradicating mold and mildew. To do this, use a sterilizer on a clear glass nail file, that is non-porous, and is capable of withstanding such temperatures. Please note that not all glass nail files can be sterilized in this way.
Alternatively, you can use a regular cleaning method and spray your nail tool with 70% isopropyl alcohol on both sides. Then let it air dry for a couple of minutes, and now it’s ready to use.
How often should you clean a glass nail file?
You don’t have to clean your glass nail file after every use. Regular cleaning under hot water once a month is enough to keep the nail tool in a good condition. For more thorough cleaning, we highly recommend disinfecting and sterilizing the surface of the glass nail file. Once every two or three months should completely suffice.
How to protect your glass nail file?
Cleaning your glass nail file isn’t the only way to keep this tool in a good condition. There are more ways to prolong the life of your product, and here are some tips to follow:
- Store properly. Glass nail files can be stored in protective sleeves to keep away from outside conditions. Glass nail files also tend to break easier than other types of nail files, therefore, having one when traveling can be beneficial.
- Clean regularly. Regular cleaning is essential in maintaining your nail tools in good condition and at the same time improving their longevity.
- Avoid rough surfaces. When using a glass nail file avoid rough surfaces, as this can cause scratches and permanent damage.
Can you reuse a glass nail file?
A glass nail file can be used multiple times. In fact, most glass nail files last for one year or longer if taken proper care of.
Do you need to sharpen a glass nail file?
A glass nail file can’t be sharpened as the grinding surface is part of the body. However, glass nail files usually do not need any sharpening as they don’t dull. After intensive use, glass nail files can appear dull but washing them thoroughly usually restores the original “sharpness”.
How long can a glass nail file last?
Glass nail files can last for one year or longer if taken proper care of. That being said, those types of nail files are more delicate and prone to breaking, especially when carrying them. Many experts recommend investing in a protective sleeve.
In conclusion, to clean a glass nail file, place it under running hot water and rub it with your fingers. This method is usually enough to get most of the dirt out of clogged dimples. You don’t have to clean your glass nail file after every use, once a month should be more than enough. If you want to truly deep clean your nail tool, we recommend disinfecting and sterilizing it.
Don’t forget that the cleaning process is important to make your nail file last long, be hygienic, and perform well. If you would like to learn how to clean a wave brush (or any other type of brush), don’t forget to check out our other article.
Laura Avila, a female writer and cleaning enthusiast, shares her expertise on Cleaningfan.com. With years of experience, Laura provides practical tips to maintain a clean and organized home. Her articles inspire readers to create a comfortable living space.